For two and a half centuries, the USA has been an unusually dynamic national entity with much influence in the world. It is guided by admirable ideals about individual human freedom, but which coexist with pathologies that have entailed the suffering of large sub-sections of its society. These characteristics are clearly visible in the 20° Cancer rising SAMVA USA chart.
The struggle to improve the conditions of those disaffected has been there for the world to see, including the American Revolutionary War when the colonists freed themselves from restrictive British rule in the 1770s, the repercussions to the Trail of Tears of native American indians in the 1830s, the US Civil War and the abolition of slavery in the 1850s, the repulsion towards the Jim Crow laws that segregated the newly freed blacks in the South in the 1870s, the Populist movement to curb the excesses of the ‘Robber barons’ in the 1890s, the Progressive Era to spread the prosperity among ordinary Americans in the 1900s, the rebuilding of the economy and creation of new jobs based on a greater role for the federal government in the Great Depression of the 1930s, the fight for the cause of freedom in the face of the rise of totalitarian fascism around the world in WW II of the 1940s, the civil rights battles and victories for blacks in the 1960s, the rise of the 99 percent in the 2010s and Trumpian revolution to reclaim prosperity for the middle class in 2016, and the fight over open borders to ensure that America remains a nation that welcomes immigrants fleeing poverty and persecution, but also to protect its own citizens from the associated drugs, crime and human trafficking in the 2020s.
MOON AS LORD OF IDENTITY
In an sense, the USA has a rather unique national identity among the nations of the world. Fittingly, the statement
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses …”
is inscribed on a plaque on the Statue of Liberty pedestal.
In 1944, Gunnar Myrdal, a Swedish economist, referred to the American Creed in his study of race relations. He suggested the creed was a
“collection of ideals that include the rule of law, equality, freedom, hard work, and individualism.”
In 1984, the UN suggested the Statue of Liberty evokes
“ideals such as liberty, peace, human rights, abolition of slavery, democracy and opportunity.”
In the 2020s, the evolving demographics of the nation (see graph) demand an ever greater recognition of the values and aspirations of the growing non-white population of the USA, with a greater diversity in religious or atheistic outlooks, in terms of an ever greater freedom for personal expression.
As described in the 2007 article introducing this authentic national chart for the USA:
“The national character of the USA is shaped to a large extent by the sign Cancer that rises in the ascendant of the SAMVA USA chart and the influences of planets on the ascendant or on its lord, the Moon. There are many happy events in the lives of those with Cancer rising. The sign brings grace and cleverness and makes those born under it good hosts, capable of receptivity and adaptability, generous, peace loving, with humor, wit and imagination or overly emotional, sensitive, shy, moody, attached, dependent and full of concern, both for themselves and for others. Cancerians tend to be sensitive and restless.”
The nature of the national identity was further explained in terms of
“The royal planet Moon is exalted in Taurus, the eleventh house of income, hopes and friends. This makes the Americans visionary but also gives them a good income. The aspect of Jupiter, as the lord of conflict, in Scoprio, to the Moon gives the Americans a fixed and war-like nature. The aspect of 10th lord Mars in Scorpio to the Moon as 1st lord gives the nation its fame for their laws, technological know-how, bravery and enterprise. The creation of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights spread the fame of America far and wide in the early years of their Republic. It is also an important ingredient in their ability to be the first nation to send men to the Moon and bring them back alive.
A further and major influence on the American character is the placement of the Sun in Capricorn, in conjunction with the rising degree of the seventh house. The king of the planetary cabinet, the Sun, becomes the lord of wealth and status for Cancer born, as well as the President. It is the general indicator of the soul and vitality. This powerful placement gives Americans their considerable status and influence in the world and a strong Presidency. It also gives American’s their sense of identity as “God’s own country.”
At the same time, there are numerous elements in the chart that reveal a less than ideal situations, such as those of the functional malefic (FM) Moon’s nodes.
CHALLENGES AND SUCCESSES
“The placement of the lunar nodes, Rahu in Aries tenth house and and Ketu in Libra fourth house, has caused many tragedies and difficulties in the national life, involving upsets in the political sphere and the social calm. The influence of Rahu has repeatedly led to exposure of corruption in government and legislative affairs, disrupting the communal harmony.”
In any event, through all of its upheavals, American prosperity has steamed onwards and upwards, as shown in this figure, but more so during the periods of strong and functional benefic planets, like the Sun, ruling the 2nd house of wealth in the 7th house of foreign affairs, and Moon, ruling the 1st house placed in the 11th house of income.
With population growth and technical progress, the natural environment has been infringed upon. However, this has resulted in corrective forces being gradually awakened and in needed changes being implemented. Pollution abatement, nature preservation and the ongoing shift from Internal Combustion Engines to Electric Vehicles are cases in point.
As explained above, the most significant feature of the Cancer rising chart is the placement of its ruler, the Moon, as 1st lord in the 11th house of ideals, alliances and income.
For the third time in its history, the Moon period is running in the SAMVA USA chart, from April 16, 2022 to April 16, 2032. Given the many constructive influences on the Moon and its 1st house, we may expect significant progress for the masses, involving the laws and governance.
The sub- periods, however, carry an additional important trend influence in 2023, including:
- Moon-Moon: April 16, 2022 – February 14, 2023. Strong focus on indications of Moon.
- Moon-Mars: February 14, 2023- September 15, 2023. Strong focus on indications of Mars.
- Moon-Rahu: September 15, 2023 – March 16, 2025. Strong focus on indications of Rahu.
Moon is 1st lord in 11th house and Mars is 10th lord in 5th house. Both planets aspect one another, boosting each others indications. Moreover, as they are strong and well placed as functional benefic planets in the SAMVA USA chart, their influence is powerfully positive, unless adverse transits upset the good going. In the Rahu period, however, problems may be expected, as natal Rahu afflicts the houses owned by 10th lord Mars, 2nd lord Sun and 6th lord Jupiter. Moreover, transit contacts involving FM Rahu will take place in the second half of 2023.
As before, we look to the transits of the slow-moving FMs in the SAMVA USA chart, 6th lord Jupiter, 8th lord Saturn, FM Rahu and FM Ketu.
“For Cancerians Jupiter’s Moolatrikona sign, Sagittarius, falls in their sixth house and Jupiter, as 6th lord, becomes a functional malefic planet for them.
As 6th lord, Jupiter rules
“public amity, relations with neighbors, general health of the public, political stability, financial solvency of the nation, management of debts, litigations, judicial functioning, communal harmony in the country and labor relations.”
Natal Jupiter is strong and well placed in Scorpio and the 5th house of the SAMVA USA chart. As such it supports the management of the health and financial position. However, malefic transit influences can adversely affect its indications.
Jupiter begins the year 2023 at 7° Pisces and 9th house. It will move forward with normal speed until it enters Aries and 10th house on April 23, 2023, where it will stay until May 2, 2024.
- While in Pisces and 9th house, JUPITER is generally considered strong and well placed. As the 9th house rules the Supreme Court, its transit there in early 2023 is therefore likely to see court decisions that are generally respected. Interestingly, in April 2022 two astrological developments took place: transit Jupiter entered the 9th house and the important Moon major period began. A few weeks later the decision to strike down Roe v. Wade was leaked, causing a great deal of national controversy. After the decision was made, a grudging acceptance was gradually observed.
- After 6th lord JUPITER moves into Aries and 10th house in the early summer of 2023, an increased energy of conflict is to be expected in public affairs. Moreover, the strength of 10th lord MARS, the dispositor of Jupiter, in transit becomes important for the strength of transit Jupiter there. This is doubly so, as the Moon-Mars period runs from mid February to mid September 2023. Transit 10th lord Mars will be weak from mid March to end June 2023, which is adverse for industrial production, notably the automotive sector as well as the legislature, government military and police.
- Transit 10th lord Mars becomes badly placed and weak in Gemini and the 12th house from March 13th until May 11th. During this time, the affairs of the US Congress, the government, the military and police, as well as foreign trade, become vulnerable to losses. Moreover, in early April transit transit 10th lord Mars will come under the aspect of transit stationary Ketu at 10 °Libra and 4th house. Further, in mid April, it comes under the aspect of natal Ketu in Libra and the 4th house MEP. These disturbing transit influences may result in some sudden adverse events for the indications of Mars. Those events are also expected to adversely affect transit Jupiter at that time. Unfortunately, transit Jupiter will become conjunct transit Rahu from May 13 to June 20, while receiving an aspect from transit 8th lord Saturn from May 25 to July 15.
- Transit 10th lord Mars will become debilitated and weak in the sign of Cancer and 1st house from May 11th until June 30th. Transit Jupiter will become equally weak at that time, even if well placed in the 10th house. This suggests fierce political conflict in the Congress at that time. The expansionary power of the US economy, especially in terms of bank lending, may become reduced at this time.
- This is more so as transit 6th lord Jupiter in mid Aries will receive a close aspect from transit 8th lord SATURN in the 8th house from May 25 to July 15, 2023. This is a violence inducing aspect, and could be associated with obstacles and endings. A prominent personality, ruled by Jupiter, possibly in Congress or government, may leave the scene.
- The above factors become more problematic still as transit Jupiter will also become conjunct retrograde transit RAHU from mid May until mid June. This aspect suggest confusion or manipulation involving conflict and health matters. Problems with illicit drugs and even legal intoxicants could become more noticeable. This aspect becomes exact at 9° Aries on June 2, 2023. The aspect adds an energy of manipulation to the difficult Saturn aspect to Jupiter.
- From late July, 2023, transit 6th lord JUPITER becomes stationary around 20° Aries and the MEP of the 10th house until mid October 2023. This suggests a lot of conflict in the US Congress and government, especially after the Mo/Ra period begins. Financial problems involving foreign trade are also possible. Transit Jupiter will go retrograde on September 10, 2023 at 21° until January 2024, when it stations at 11° Aries and 10th house.
- Related to the above transit of Jupiter, it will become conjunct natal RAHU at 18° Aries from July 11 to July 26 and again in the second half of October. Moreover, during the latter, transit 6th lord Jupiter becomes opposite transit 10th lord Mars and transit 3rd lord Mercury on top of natal Ketu on October 29, 2023. This suggests a controversy over the long standing manipulations of corporations in Congress and the US government will undermine the communal harmony. Possibly, the government and/or Congress will try to more meaningfully address the issue of illegal immigrants at that time, but with significant push back from the political opposition.
Saturn enters Aquarius on January 18, 2023, and stays there until March 29, 2025. As 8th lord, Saturn becomes the most malefic planet in the 20° Cancer rising SAMVA USA chart. However, the transit of Saturn in Aquarius, its Moolatrikona sign, makes Saturn strong, even if badly placed in the 8th house. At the same time, this is a somber placement, lacking the flair of e.g. Saturn in Leo.
Saturn earlier transited this sign from
- February 1905 to April 1907, a boom in “Trusts” leads to a financial crisis in fall of 1907,
- February 1934 to July 1937, the US economy is stabilised in the middle of the Great Depression,
- January 1964 to April 1966, first phase of the Vietnam War with growing loss of US lives,
- March 1993 to February 1996, Bill Clinton is President and US economy struggles to gain momentum.
Importantly, transit Saturn will move out of the seventh house, which promises relief for US foreign policy, international agreements and the leisure industry.
A change of signs by a slow moving planet is usually attended by some events that signify the associated change in national conditions.
- On January 27, 2017, transit 8th lord Saturn entered Sagittarius and 6th house of conflict and illness. Establishment-hostile President Trump was sworn in, followed by increasingly hostile media coverage of him and his administration.
- On January 25, 2020, transit 8th lord Saturn entered Capricorn and 7th house. The Covid pandemic and the impeachment trial of President Trump a few days from that date.
The transit of Saturn in Aquarius and the 8th house, into its own Moolatrikona sign and the 8th house is generally seen as good. When unafflicting or unafflicted it is indicative of easy gains and legitimacy, help from unexpected sources, protection from sudden reversals or relief from difficult situations. We may thus expect some event of that nature to take place in the third week of January. The labour movements in the USA may become stronger than they have been, making demands to raise wages and improve working conditions. Mining for oil and other resources may become more rewarding.
In 2023, Saturn’s stations will not be in the MEP, and will therefore not afflict other houses. However, such placements are seen in 2024, when transit Saturn will spend most of the year around 20°-23° Aquarius, or in the MEP of the 8th house, thereby aspecting and causing prolonged issues for public affairs (10th house), status and relations with neighbouring countries (2nd house) and the management, creativity and young people (5th house).
- With Saturn’s entry into Aquarius, it remains weak in infancy for around one month that is up to the middle of February, 2023. This may be seen as a transition phase from the conditions of the past few years and what to expect in the coming year.
- During 2023 transit 8th lord Saturn reaches its peak of 13° 01’ Aquarius and the 8th house. It then retrogrades on June 18, 2023.
- From March 27 to April 30, 2023, transit 8th lord Saturn in 8th house receives a close aspect from transit stationary FM Ketu in the 4th house. At that time, sudden difficulties may occur with respect to obstacles and endings. At the same time, transit 8th lord Saturn will aspect transit stationary Rahu at 10° Aries and 10th house, suggesting obstacles and endings due to manipulations in the public sphere. These aspects peak in mid April.
- From mid May to end July, 2023, transit 8th lord Saturn will station around 12° 30’ Aquarius and 8th house. It aspects sub-period lord 10th lord Mars at 10° Scorpio and 5th house, suggesting tensions for the government involving the management of the labour force. Union strikes are possible at this time.
- From early October to end November, 2023, transit 8th lord Saturn will be stationary around 6° 30’ degrees Aquarius and 8th house. From there transit 8th lord Saturn aspects natal 6th lord Jupiter at 4° 25′ Scorpio and 5th house, a violence inducing aspect, which could see setbacks for young people or children. In this placement, transit Saturn favours 6° Leo rising Donald Trump but is difficult for 10° Scorpio rising Joe Biden.
RAHU & KETU
Transit Rahu remains in Aries and 10th house and transit Ketu in Libra and 4th house until November 28, 2023, when they pass, respectively, into 30° Pisces and 30° Virgo. The transit in the 9th and 3rd houses respectively, suggest disturbances to the indications of those houses, notably transportation and communication and the courts, but more so when transit Rahu in the 9th house aspect 8th lord Saturn at 27° Scorpio and 5th house as the year ends
Transit Rahu will station twice during the year, at 10° Aries from early March until early June 2023, and at 1° Aries from end August until end November 2023. In neither case do the nodes afflict natal planets or the MEPs of the SAMVA USA chart. However, they do afflict other transit FMs as noted above. Moreover, when the transit 2nd lord Sun passes over the stationary nodes has usually been accompanied by difficulty for the US President. The days in question are April 23 to 25 and October 17 to 19. The latter date is more extreme as transit 2nd lord Sun will be in abject weakness due to extreme infancy and being in its sign of debilitation.
Transit Ketu will station in the same degrees and periods in the sign of Libra and 4th house during the year, with the influences described above.
Sadly for women, 1° Gemini rising Kamala Harris, Vice President, who will be running Ra/Ke period in 2023, will likely have a very difficult time in the fall of 2023. She may not continue on the Democrat ticket heading into 2024.
The USA is at a cross roads. Befitting the Moon major period from April 2022, there are forces that seek to make the country more tolerant and compassionate towards marginal communities but also illegal immigrants. The open border policy of the Biden administration is an expression of this sentiment. Moreover, this is in line with the traditional identity of the USA, as a caring nation. At the same time, there are those who feel that ordinary Americans have for too long been sidelined from the prosperity in the country. MAGA Republicans want to close the border and put Americans first. These opposing positions will likely be reconciled before this major period ends.
The transits suggest temporary difficulties in the summer but more so in the fall, after the Moon-Rahu period begins. The public sector will likely see its share of conflict and confusion in the coming year. While the financial sector is not likely to flourish in 2023, the conditions facing labour are expected to improve, but also to be associated with problems, including how to deal with all the undocumented immigrant workers. Crony capitalism, the nexus of big money and politics, may become a target of a revitalised labour movement.